Summer is here, and so rising seniors should be determining their plan of attack for completing college applications. With school out and deadlines as soon as November 1 for students who apply early action to colleges, the next few months will be an excellent time to work through one of the most intimidating parts of the form…
The dreaded college essay.
Luckily, students can already access the essay prompts for the Common Application (the application that more than 700 colleges accept for admissions).
Check out the Common App essay prompts below, and then help your teen to develop and polish a winning essay this summer.
2018-2019 Common Application Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Like this article? Subscribe to my email list to get more great info like this, including my college planning checklist! I’ll keep you updated all year about what’s happening college-planning-wise to ensure you and your teen are on top of it all.
Let’s continue the conversation! Leave a comment below.